Tuesday, August 1, 2017


I just happened to walk outside with the phone this evening to catch this sunset.

Last week we saw a deer in our driveway when we drove in at night, and Saturday we saw two deer in the middle of the day. There is evidence of hogs at the back near a creek, but so far we haven't seen one on our property. We've seen them around though, and Marvin hit one at dawn one morning on his way to work. He didn't know if he killed it because it kept running, but I saw its final resting place when I left later that morning and so did about twenty-five buzzards.

One of our neighbors named their place Hog Run Farm and I told Marvin we should name ours Hog Wild Farm. He didn't think that was funny.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Sunrise at the Farm

Marvin enjoys sunrise on the porch, and this one was particularly pretty.  His comment when he took this picture:

Sleeping in a cramped trailer somehow is worth it with morning coffee and quiet sunrises.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Attic Decking Completed

It's not much to show for the weekend, but in our defense, we took off Saturday for some R&R.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Stairs Are Up and the Last Windows Are Installed

Marvin has been working on stairs a little at a time this week and had them rough finished by Friday night.  Saturday was unbelievably hot and humid.  The day began at 72° with 91% humidity; by noon it was 77° with 86% humidity.  It felt like a sauna inside the barn but Marvin toiled away in it, finishing the blocking and other little details.

In my last post, I said that I just couldn't lift those windows so they were going to have to wait until someone stronger came by.  Well, my dear brother-in-law made a trip down here to lift those windows and get them set.  Whew!  One step closer to being able to put up siding.  We probably have to order a new front door though.  One day when both ends of the barn were open, a not particularly strong wind blew the door over and broke the plastic trim around the glass.

North window wall

Looking at the North window wall

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Rough Plumbing Is In, and Another Wind Story

There's a song They Call the Wind Maria  (or Mariah in some editions).  Sounds like a name for someone nice, doesn't it?  Clearly, whoever wrote that song never had to carry plywood in it, or try to wrap Tyvek on a house.  If so, the song might have had a title like They Call the Wind Abaddon.  Nine out of every ten days seems to have winds from 15-25 mph.  Last night, I talked with a few neighbors and one of them also had garage doors blown out when we did.  When I said that it seemed to be an unusally windy year, they said that it is usually worse than this.  Yikes!  Now I know why homesteaders planted windbreaks.

The plumbers helpers finished the rough plumbing inside and installed three outdoor faucets, on front and back porches, and one on the RV pad.  It's so nice to be able to have hoses outside instead of all from our single indoor faucet.

It was warm and humid while they were here (of course), so they opened all the windows to take advantage of the strong wind blowing through.  After they left that evening, I closed the windows and noticed one screen was bent in the center top and bottom.

"...and I call the wind Abaddon!"

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Window Walls Part 3

These walls are recessed behind the roll-up doors for extra protection from the elements and for security when we want to hook onto the trailer and have an adventure.  Those doors, however, have been a challenge, and not just from the wind.  They have to be completely enclosed on the top side to keep out the wind, the rattle caused by the wind, and the bugs.  It also needs to have siding on the exposed side which meant that Marvin had to devise a plan to make it snug and attractive, and yet leave room for the door to work.

So the chore this weekend was the outside of the window walls, and of course installing some of the windows.  I cracked a rib or two a couple of weeks ago, so haven't been of much help lately.  I did manage to get my side of the shorter triple window into the opening, but the larger triple window was just too much.  It will either have to wait until I am better or until the unsuspecting strong person stops to visit.

South side
South side
When we planned this building, we knew we would be building this recessed wall, and yet one of the details we missed was the dropped porch area.  We gave the concrete guy a two foot deep measurement to the wall (and on the front it should have been deeper because of the brick ledge), but we didn't think about the sides.  So he made it the standard for garage doors when it should have been a little more to allow for the position of the wall.

South wall

When we stood the above wall, we found that the slab was unlevel on the left side.  It was about an inch higher and you can see it in the framing above the door.  It's impossible to have a slab this big and not have uneven places.  But what a bad place for it.  There are ways of dealing with an uneven floor under a door, but it was going to be a pain.  However, when Marvin put the door in place, the slab was perfectly flat right there.  Talk about a lucky break. The high spot was only near the corner of the wall and leveled out about six inches from the door.  Marvin did have to adjust the header, but he said that wasn't a problem.  Since we are going to have wood on the ceiling, the difference won't be noticeable there either.

South wall

South wall

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Window Walls Part 2

This weekend we worked on the window walls on the north and south ends of the great room.  We still have to keep the roll-up doors down most of the time because the wind blows through it so hard that it blows everything around and blows sawdust in our eyes.

South wall

North wall